I'm currently finishing my final year of undergrad at Indiana University, hoping to leave with a bachelor's degree in Journalism. My public relations classes have spent a lot of time emphasizing the methodologies and the importance of objectives/strategies/tactics in public relations communications plans. No one has truly emphasized research. This, I don't understand. How can someone truly understand a business without doing research? How can you accurately rate competitors, understand previous communications, and even identify target audiences if you're not putting in the time and doing your homework.
The best example of lack of research happened during the election this year with Christine O'Donnell-- the Tea Party candidate for senator in Delaware (http://christine2010.com/). Apparently, her promotions people did a total of zero research into her history and missed the fact that Christine had PUBLICLY identified herself as a witch (i.e. Wicca, spells, etc.). How do you miss that?! So of course, the news comes out and Christine's interview as a "witch" is publicized during her race for office. How does she respond? "Hi I'm Christine O'Donnell and I'm not a witch." Excellent. Fire your public relations guy, he's worthless. This whole fiasco would have been avoided with a little homework.
It's not just political candidates jumping the gun and skipping the research. I've noted that research is being neglected in school settings too. Many of my professors have stopped emphasizing research for clients and instead, emphasize the importance of deliverables and a pretty plan instead. I'm not a professional yet, but what good are deliverables if you have your audience pinpointed incorrectly?
Needless to say, research is the easy part. A couple hours worth of digging on Google is a better start than not digging around at all. Avoid catastrophes. Don't waste your own time. Do your research. Plus, if you do the research then you gain a better understanding of who your client is and who you're actually trying to reach. The pros outweigh the cons... so get Google-ing!
No comments:
Post a Comment